Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Husbands: Learner, Lover, Leader!

Gentlemen, we need to know that we are not old dogs that can’t learn new tricks.  We are men!  As such we can also change.

This is important to know because the “stings of the curse” are that the woman seeks to manipulate and control her husband while the husband seeks to have the woman despotically “under his thumb.”  James correlates this sin dynamic, “WhaTheret causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?" (James 4:1, ESV).
Husbands are responsible to be Learners, Lovers and Leaders of their wives and being a godly man.

Learner
1 Peter 3:7, "[7 ] Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered. (1 Peter 3:7 ESV)
This is an ongoing, concerted, effort.
I need to know my wife, study herjuniqueness of her gender.  I need to learn what is unique about my wife.  I need to learn and know her unique life struggles.
I need treat her as a weaker vessel; not as weak.  I need to give her respect, honor and cherish her as if she were a Ming vase instead of a Tupperware ® container.  Romantic love is comes from giving your wife this attention.

Lover
Eph 5:25, "[25 ] Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, (Ephesians 5:25 ESV)
I am to love my wife "as Christ loved” (Eph 5:25, 1 Jn 4:19.)  I need to love her first; take the initiative and be a lover before being loved. I need to love her most , that is I need to give myself to her, love her more than myself.  Then, I need to love her unmistakably, so that she knows in word and deed that I lover her (1 Jn 3:18).
I am also to love my wife "as my own body."  If I would only love her as I (selfishly) love me, my marriage would  richer.
Loving my sweeheart like this will overcome bitterness (Col 3:19).

Leader
A godly leader will focus on the needs of others. I need to be goal oriented, setting godly goals.  I need to be an example of control in every area of life: what I read, what I eat, where I go on the internet.  I need to be a problem-solver; my wife's problems are all of my problems, but not all my problems are hers. I need to be a teacher, leading her in the Word, and we should be living out the Word.  Finally, I need to be a joy to live with; I want my family to love when I come home.

 Be a blessing to your wife, men!

No comments: